Reading to your child and teaching him or her to love reading at an early age will:
- Improve his or her vocabulary and communication skills
- Boost his or her self-esteem
- Prime your child to succeed in school
- Prepare your child to more easily learn a second language
- Strengthen family bonds (as you read together)
Unfortunately, bookworming doesn’t come naturally to every child, and forcing it too much can backfire. In this video, I share a few things you can do to gently encourage your child to love reading:
One thing I forgot to mention in the video is listening to audiobooks. Sometimes, even if a child isn’t interested in reading a printed book, listening to it (especially if the narrator is good) can wrap your child up in a story and get him or her excited about reading. Libraries offer audiobooks and read-along books. Overdrive and Epic are a couple of other great children’s audiobook resources.
Stay tuned for some lists of favorite picture books and chapter books. In the meantime, feel free to contact me and I’d be happy to give you some recommendations!